When you start to plan a trip, especially one to California, some of the first ideas in your head are what to do. It’s a common thought after all since doing activities in other locations is most likely the main reason that any of us goes anywhere. One beautiful area you should consider when thinking about a trip to California is to visit the Mendocino Coast. We at Sea Rock Inn are so fortunate to be able to call this area home for many reasons. The reasons we love the Mendocino Coast helps us assist our guests in finding things to do while they are here. Let’s have a look at our top 10 reasons why the Mendocino coast is the most beautiful.
Mendocino Coast & Everything You Need to Know
- Hiking: Almost anywhere along the Mendocino Coast, as well as inland, you can go hiking. And there is so much to see while you go out for a walk. One area we highly recommend for Mendocino hiking is the Coastal Trail in Fort Bragg. It has just opened and it gives guests amazing views of the ocean on a paved trail that is about a mile. There are many places to sit and take in the area.
- Animal Watching: While you are out and about on the Mendocino Coast, one thing that you will be able to see a lot of is our native animals. Inland and in the sea, there are so many ways to enjoy our critters. Birds are the most prevalent on the coast and in the water you will be able to see whales during their season, sea lions, harbor seals, and more. Be sure to keep an eye out for animals!
- Driving: There is nothing like a fun and relaxing drive up and down the Mendocino Coast. For us, that would be Hwy 1 which is very close to us at Sea Rock and is one of the main ways to get to other neighboring towns. If you are the type who loves to get out there and drive then we suggest a few hours on Hwy 1. Be sure to map out the other sights you would like to see as there will be plenty to choose from.
- Breweries/Wineries: All throughout Mendocino you will be able to find many wineries and breweries to enjoy. However, there are only 1 of each that is close to the Mendocino Coast. For our brewery, it is North Coast Brewing Co. located in Fort Bragg. They have a wonderful taproom filled with beers to try, food, and music. It really is a treat to spend an evening there. For our winery, head over to Pacific Star Winery, also in Fort Bragg. Their winery and tasting room is literally on the coast and is just stunning. Enjoy a glass of wine as you view the Pacific Ocean.
- Kayaking: Of course we had to mention the other way to see the Mendocino Coast, from the water! Liquid Fusion Kayaking can take care of all of your kayaking needs. They have fantastic ocean kayaking tours that can take you along the coast as well as in caves.
- Whale Watching: Twice a year, whales grace our coastline with their migration either north or south and they are just a sight to behold. Anchor Charter Boats has whale watching tours available during the whale season. Their trips are about 2 hours long and always a lot of fun.
- Beaches: When you think about the Mendocino Coast, the one thing you think about is the beach. There are so many incredible beaches here in Mendocino but one is slightly different and should be on anyone’s itinerary, Glass Beach in Fort Bragg. For years glass washed and tossed by the ocean has been making its way to Glass beach and creates a stunning landscape of many colors.
- State Parks: Just like beaches, there are many amazing state parks for you to explore while you are here. One in particular that is fantastic is Mendocino Headlands. Located on the coast, there is so much to do while you are there. You can walk trails, enjoy the beach, learn about the history of our area, and much more. Just be sure to allow for plenty of time to do it all.
- Photography: When it comes to any of the activities we have mentioned, the most important thing to do would be to photograph it all. The sights of the Mendocino Coast are something you will want to treasure for a lifetime. Many travelers love taking pictures of the coast, the animals, and all of the area activities that they participated in.
- Fishing: For most of us, fishing is a fun, thrilling, and relaxing pastime that can be enjoyed in many ways. Here in Mendocino, we recommend Fort Bragg Fishing for your fishing charter needs. They have 6 fishing trips to choose from that are different but all fantastic. They have 2 times to choose from, 7 am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 6 pm.
Book Your Stay at Sea Rock Inn
As you can see, there are many ways to enjoy our Mendocino Coast the next time you are here. When you do decide to head to Northern California, consider staying with us at Sea Rock Inn. Like we mentioned before, we are convenient to many area activities, restaurants, and more. Our beautiful B&B has amazing views of the coast, many of our rooms, as well as refined comforts, to ensure you have a comfortable stay. Each morning join us for a delicious breakfast to help you get your day going. Contact us today and begin planning your next trip to California!
Want to learn more about our area? Request your free Vacation Guide today.