When you think of the Mendocino, CA, what comes to mind? For us at Sea Rock Inn, we think of the gorgeous coast, intricate history, and of course, the towering forests. For many years, lumberjacks have cut down trees in our area to provide for their families and shape America into what it is today. Perhaps you have heard tall tales of the larger-than-life Paul Bunyan and his ox, Babe. Every year, we celebrate his legacy with Paul Bunyan Days in Fort Bragg, a four-day celebration from September 2-5, 2017!
Before planning your unforgettable trip to the Golden Coast, request a copy of our free Vacation Guide to the beautiful Mendocino area! You’ll find our recommendations for historic sites, exciting annual events like Paul Bunyan Days in Fort Bragg, and outdoor adventures. Our guide also features the stunning accommodations and luxurious spa services at Sea Rock Inn!
What to Expect at the 2017 Paul Bunyan Days in Fort Bragg
Paul Bunyan Days in Fort Bragg has celebrated over 75 years of crowd-pleasing delight and is one of the most popular festivals on the Mendocino Coast. Read over our local insights and discover everything you’ll need to know about this year’s festivities!
The 2017 Theme
Since the 1940s, Paul Bunyan Days in Fort Bragg preserves the history of our area. To commemorate its iconic figure, a new theme is selected each year. This year’s theme is “Under the Big Top with Paul & Babe.” In a true carnival-themed extravaganza, you’ll find a wonderful collection of games and festivities as well as amazing food and a lively atmosphere.
As you walk around the Paul Bunyan Days in Fort Bragg 2017, you’ll be delighted by the assortment of events to teach you about our area.
- Logging Show– What could Paul Bunyan Days festival be complete without a logging show? On the Sunday of the festivities, join the crowds to watch this fascinating event. Participants bring their competitive spirits for the contests and bring excitement to the attendees. To show off their skills, competitors show off their skills at the ax throw, Jack and Jill Handsaw, Pole climb, and so much more!
- Belle of the Redwoods– If you want to experience a unique beauty pageant, purchase your tickets for the Belle of the Redwoods. The contestants dress up in theme-appropriate gowns and sell as many raffle tickets as possible. To whoever sells the most, she is the winner, rides in the Labor Day Parade, and receives 20% of her ticket sales!
- Labor Day Parade– Paul Bunyan Days in Fort Bragg would not be complete with a parade! On Labor Day, the streets transform into an exciting showcase starting at 11 a.m. Both locals and visitors alike line the streets and join in the festivities. Be sure to get there early and claim your spot to enjoy the floats, the marching bands, and local groups!
- Old Fashioned Dress Review– Do you want to get a glimpse of fashion over the decades? If so, attend this delightful event at St. Michael’s, situated on North Franklin and Fir on Saturday at 2 p.m. You’ll be captivated by the evolution of dress throughout the years!
- Pie Sale– If you wish to satisfy your sweet tooth, indulge in the handmade pies. With every one sold, the money helps fund mission work for a local church. The sale begins at 10 a.m. on the Saturday of Paul Bunyan Days in Fort Bragg!
Relax at Sea Rock Inn
After you experience the fun and festivities of Paul Bunyan Days in Fort Bragg, unwind in luxury at Sea Rock Inn. Our cliffside bed and breakfast allows you to disconnect from our modern world and experience the unparalleled beauty of the Pacific Ocean and the Mendocino Coast. Each of our stunning accommodations boasts these stunning views and provide you with the perfect retreat for you and your beloved. We invite you to browse our gorgeous selection of guest rooms and reserve the ideal one for your vacation! When you wake each morning, you’ll be delighted by the aromas of our delicious breakfast spread.
Plan your next California getaway to welcome autumn this year!